Please contact Hanna-Maija for assistance in the following and other areas
- suspected infringement of your trademark, design right or copyright
- when you wish to get the help from the customs to supervise your intellectual property rights by filing a customs application, or when the customs officials have sized a product consignment on suspicion of infringing your rights
- when seeking to verify the legality of your marketing or to stop the unfair practices of a competitor
- assistance with various co-operation agreements, such as franchising, distribution, non-disclosure or licencing agreements
Hanna-Maija has been working as an Attorney-at-Law for more than 20 years, specialising in protecting and defending intellectual property rights, and managing various co-operation agreements and marketing law issues.
Hanna-Maija is particularly dedicated to conducting various disputes related to trademarks, design rights, copyright and marketing. While such disputes are often amicably settled by correspondence, Hanna-Maija is also very familiar with conducting various opposition and appeal procedures, customs seizures and litigations. Agreements are important instruments for preventing disputes, and Hanna-Maija often assists in drafting a wide range of agreements on such issues as franchising, distribution, non-disclosure or licencing. She also assists in issues relating to marketing and data protection.
International ranking lists have for years recognized Hanna-Maija very high among the best IPR lawyers in Finland.
Properta Attorneys Ltd, Partner 2017–
Eversheds Attorneys Ltd. (formerly Juridia Bützow and Juridia), Partner 2008–2016
Heinonen & Co Oy, Attorneys-at-Law, Ltd., Partner 1998–2016
Keijo Heinonen Oy, Associate 1996–1998
District Court of Tuusula, Judicial trainee and assistant judge 1995–1996
Neste Oy, Assisting Legal Counsel 1994–1995
Education and training
Authorised trademark attorney, 2014
Training on the bench, District Court of Tuusula, 1996
Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 1994
Finnish, English, Swedish, German and Italian
Chambers Global ja Chambers Europe, 2019, Band 1:
- Hanna-Maija Elo is a market-leading lawyer known for her work on trade mark-related issues. She also advises clients on unfair competition matters as well as design rights. Clients highlight her “broad and deep knowledge in the area of intellectual property rights,” adding: “She is an excellent negotiator and skilled lawyer in matters of intellectual property disputes.” She advised MySoda on a trade mark infringement claim brought by SodaStream.
Legal500, 2019, Leading Individual
- “The group at Properta Attorneys Ltd excels in trade mark work; Hanna-Maija Elo and Kukka Tommila successfully represented Rimowa in a 3D trade mark infringement dispute. Other work includes representing MySoda in a domain name dispute.”
World Trademark Review, WTR1000, 2019 Individuals, gold
- “Properta is exceptional for complex and hard-to-obtain registrations as well as trademark disputes.” Although the department is compact, it really packs a punch with Hanna-Maija Elo leading the charge. “She provides accurate and straightforward legal advice. Her service level and industry knowledge are excellent – she is a fantastic negotiator and a skilled lawyer.” Clients love her and stay loyal; adidas has instructed her for decades.”
World Trademark Review, WTR Global Leaders: Private practice, 2019
Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars, 2019, Trade mark star and The Top 250 Women in IP, 2019
Who’s Who Legal Trademarks: Lawyers 2019
Who’s Who Legal Franchise 2019
Women in Business Law 2019
Finnish Bar Association
Association of Finnish Lawyers
Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights
Finnish Anti-Counterfeiting Group
Finnish AIPPI Group
International Trademark Association (INTA)
EuroFranchise Lawyers Group, Member for Finland, 2017–
Member of the board of Finnish AIPPI Group 2014–
Finnish AIPPI Group: member of the Standing Committee on Piracy and Counterfeiting 2015–
Member of the International Chamber of Commerce Finnish section IPR Expert Group 2015–
Member of the Anti-Counterfeiting EU-subcommittee of the International Trademark Association, 2008–2011 and 2014–2017
Member of the intellectual property rights specialist group of the Finnish Bar Association 2008–2013
Finnish Anti-Counterfeiting Group: Chairman 2002–2005, 2007–2009 and 2018–, Secretary 1998–2000, Member of the board 2002–2005, 2007–2010 and 2017–
Finnish Franchising Association, Vice-chairman of the board of ethics 2008–
Member of the Finnish Direct Marketing Association Fair Play group 2002–2003
Member of the Legal Division of the Finnish Marketing Association 1997–1999 and 2003
Lauer / Pratt (ed.) 2017: Fundamentals of Franchising Europe. Section on Finland.
Wormald & Abell (ed.) 2011: Alternative corporate re-engineering / Building businesses through third party relationships and expansion into new markets. Section on Finland.
Zeidman (ed.) 2007–2010: Getting the Deal Through Franchise. Sections on Finland.
Nicholson, Sinder (ed.) 2008–2010: Getting the Deal Through Trademarks. Sections on Finland.
MPI for Intellectual Property 2006: Gemeinschaftsmarke und Recht der Mitgliedstaaten (“Collective mark and right of the Member States”). Section on Finland.
Harriss-Newiss (ed.) 1997–2016: International Intellectual Property Litigation. Sections on Finland.
INTA (ed.) Enforcement: An International Litigation Guide, 2016 – 2018. Sections on Finland.
Articles in Finnish and foreign publications.